These baskets are handcrafted by women in Zambia using tough makenge roots and natural dyes. In rural Zambia near Victoria Falls, a wedding basket is a Toka woman’s most useful and valuable possession. In everyday life she may choose to use it practically--to winnow grain and to collect and store harvested roots and rice, or to beautify her home by hanging it on a wall.
The beauty and durability of Zambian wedding baskets is no accident. Meticulously harvesting the roots of the Makenge bush is truly an art form of its own, and once roots are found, they are boiled until soft and colored with natural plant dyes. Only the most skilled Toka craftswomen are able to weave these baskets, and each adds one-of-a-kind patterns conveying messages of beauty, marriage and family.
- Made in Zambia by Swahili African Modern
- Size: 16-17"D x 2"T
- Materials: Makenge roots, natural dye
- Sold singly. Because this is a handmade item, each will vary slightly.
The time frame for order delivery is divided into two parts:
1. Processing: Order verification, quality check and packaging. Processing is usually completed within 24 hours. You will receive tracking information as soon as your order is processed.
2. Shipping: Our items are shipped from Florida with USPS for orders for the US and Canada. At check-out, you can choose the shipping method that best suits your needs, including Priority 2-Day Mail, First-Class Package, and Ground Shipping. Shipping price is individually calculated depending on weight, distance, and method of shipping chosen. International orders are shipped with UPS and DHL.